Built in the square of the same name, the monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi is one of the largest marble monuments in the world; the large statue, made from a huge block of marble from the Carrara quarries, is entitled Il Geno della Stirpe (The genius of the lineage) and is the work of Carlo Fontana, one of the masters of 20th century Italian sculpture.
“Il genio della Stirpe” represents a young giant who rests his right arm on a large shield on which the profile of Giuseppe Garibaldi is carved.
It symbolizes the Italian people who look to the future protected by one of the greatest and most popular heroes of the Risorgimento.
The work was conceived in 1907, built in the following years and inaugurated in May 1914. For the occasion a memorable transport was organized, using numerous pairs of oxen, from Carrara to Sarzana. An ad hoc device was also prepared to lift the monolith over the basement.
The War Memorial of the First World War was inaugurated in 1934 and occupies the central part of Piazza Matteotti.
The work, created by the sculptor Carlo Fontana, is entirely in Carrara marble. The monument symbolizes the effort made by Italy to achieve victory in the Great War.
On one side of the monumental complex, conceived in the likeness of the cochlid columns of the Roman sculptural tradition, the soldiers carry a cannon by their arms along a mountain path.
On the opposite side – which also sees the presence of a tub – a fountain gushes out in the likeness of a mountain spring.
On the top of the monument stands the winged victory (called Procellaria) in bronze, also a work of the Fontana, which takes up, modernizing it, the Hellenistic type of the Nike of Samothrace.
A commemorative stele surmounted by an artistic bust of Agostino Paci adorns the gardens at the railway station.
This, in addition to the dedication of the road that leads to the old San Bartolomeo hospital, is the homage that the City of Sarzana wanted to pay to a scientist and a health worker who was, in his time, a great innovator in the field of surgery.
Agostino Paci was born in Ameglia on 29 August 1845 and died in 1902, at the age of only 57, in his home in Sarzana in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele (now Piazza Giacomo Matteotti).